Raceway opened to stock car racing in 1949 at the old Exeter
Fairgrounds. Located on Routes 11 & 43, racing was held on
the half-mile horse track until the track was shortened to
one-third of a mile several years later to slow the stock cars.
fairgrounds of the period, the facility had a covered grandstand
and fans had the choice of sitting in the shade or in the open
grandstands for the Sunday afternoon racing program.
or barns were located just off turn four on the front stretch.
But, when the track was shortened to a one-third mile, many a
stock car exited turn four into the barns. With the assistance
of many out of control stock cars, the barns were eventually
operated into the early 1960's. Tall grass and brush now cover
the facility with the only remembrance of the popular raceway is
the pit tower which still stands.